Goats first came to America with English settlers in the 1500s, and they’ve been an integral part of our livestock ever since. But, few people actually know much about these precious creatures. Here are some cool facts about them that you probably didn’t know!
- Goats were one of the first animals to be tamed by humans, about 9,000 years ago
- Goats can be taught their name and to come when called
- Each kid has a unique call and scent. Those are the distinguishing features that help its mother recognize it.
- Goats have a five month gestation period and the average birth rate is two kids per year
- Baby goats can walk within minutes of being born