Thanksgiving is almost here! Whether you’ll be feasting on turkey or tof-urkey, you should know a little more about these special creatures! Here are some cool facts you probably didn’t know.
- Turkeys can fly up to 55mph
- Turkeys have two stomachs to help them break down food
- The wild turkey is native to America. The only reason they’re called turkeys is because of their resemblance to a similar-looking bird called African turkey-cocks.
- Both male and female turkeys have wattles (which is the red thing that hangs on its chin!)
- Turkey meat can’t actually put you to sleep, but it does contain tryptophan, which can make you very tired!
- Only male turkeys gobble. Both male and female turkeys make noises, but only males gobble.
- Turkeys sleep high in the tree branches to avoid predators.