With the warm weather coming fast, it’s time to clear out the cobwebs – literally! Here are the steps to take when cleaning out your backyard chicken coop. Definitely stop by the store for any equipment and advice you may need!
- Empty out the coop of large items, i.e. chickens, nest boxes, trash, etc.
- Move on to the details; start brush out all of the hay and cobwebs and scraping up bird droppings.
- Hose it down from top to bottom.
- Check the infrastructure of the house for any areas that were damaged during the winter and need repair.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Do a deep cleaning for each nest box and all of the smaller items that go inside the house. TIP: use a safe, natural cleaning agent, like vinegar, that is strong but not harmful.
- Place everything back into the house.
- Give it a fresh coat of paint!